Monday, June 22, 2009

The Perfect Sommer Bier?

I grilled up some sausages on Saturday and figured it was the perfect time to try the new Shiner Smokehouse. According to their website, its a Helles-style lager brewed with pale malt that's been smoked with native mesquite at the brewery. I certainly wasn't expecting the strong smoky and bacon flavours of a rauchebier, but there was virtually no smokiness in the flavour at all. I had been hoping that the mesquite characteristics would come through as that would pair well with Texas barbecue. As the beer warmed, I could start to detect a faint smokiness in the very end of the finish (or I convinced myself there was one), but only if I was really trying to taste for it. If served "ice cold" as the label suggests, there would be no flavour at all.

No comments: